Monday, March 20, 2006

Rome - Day 1

I chose a sleeper car to Rome from Nice that left at 9pm to arrive at 6:45am. On the train I was greeted by two couples who were to share the sleeper with me. A couple from New Zealand, Linley and Tom and two guys, from San Francisco - I think that one of their names was Ron. Such a relief to have everyone speak English.

I managed to fall asleep after a disturbing story told by Linley. She recounted a friend of a friend's story about how the gypsies in Rome wait for you outside the train station, follow you to your hotel and rob you at knife point. I decided to brush that aside, I thought to myself, I am from NYC, I can handle myself.

I think it was 3AM when I abruptly awaken by Ron screaming at the top of his lungs, "NO STOP," to the people that were reaching into the couchette trying to steal our luggage and all of our belongings. I saw him slam his hand in the door, then the robber was off. I felt around under my head for my wallet in my jacket that was folded neated under my head underneath my pillow. I then found a cut in the inside pocket of my jacket where my wallet should be. My stomack sank as I started to feel ill. I frantically search the bed around the cart. Nothing. Then it caught my eye. The wallet was stuck in between the bed and the wall. Apparently, Ron's screaming stopped him in time. I said several small prayers and slept with my eyes open, and all of my things tightly held in my arms. From then on until the time we arrived in the Rome, the robbers attempted our room twice more....

CIAO ROMA!

RWPjr

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home