Saturday, May 05, 2007

Playwrights Horizons Gets Saved


Yet another cult-classic gets a movie-musical-makeover. PH will give the 2004 teen satire the song-and-dance routine. Too be honest, the team they have assembled to do it is pretty impressive (Gary Griffin, Michael Friedman, John Dempsey and Rinne Groff). This might actually be worth seeing. I really enjoyed the movie, but that's usually the problem. You go wanting the movie. That's how I felt after Spamalot.

Thinking about this, I decided to grab my latest Time Out and do some counting. There are 35 shows currently on Broadway. 26 of those are musicals. 10 0f those are based on movies (I give Chicago and Rent both half points because the people who are coming to see them now have been influenced by the film.) 3 of those are based on Disney cartoons.

So, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. I've got a particular movie in mind that I think would be the best musical ever. All I need is a playwright and a composer/lyricist. Any takers?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home