Sunday, April 29, 2007

Amen

Saw Young Jean Lee's Church last night at PS 122 and I highly recommend going to see it. As an agnostic artist who was baptized Episcopalian and confirmed Presbyterian, this play cut right to the bone. It's as uplifting as it is underhanded. It challenged both sides of my history. The trick with theatre is to make the audience believe the actors are speaking directly to them. Well, from the first line of the play, I knew this was a story for me. The design and direction were perfectly simple, and yet it was more 'theatrical' than many of the things I've seen lately. Nothing about it was artificial, even when they broke into song or dance. The brilliant testimonials, performed by Greg Hildreth, Karinne Keithley, Weena Pauly and Katie Workum, were fantastic. And without ruining the end, it's better than any Broadway finale you'll see this season. The show runs until May 13. Be sure to catch a service.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home