Thursday, April 26, 2007

Random Musings

1. With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility. I think Julie Taymor is great. I think Bono and the Edge are great. I think Spiderman is great. So why am I skeptical of the superhero musical? I guess I should just be thankful that Tim Burton didn't develop the Batman one.

2. The Post-Imus Era. This whole Mike Daisey 'Walk Out/Water Damage' incident has gotten way out of hand. In addition to the online chatter, at least six people have sent me an email linking to the YouTube video. All this makes me think is, 'what a clever marketing strategy'. Mike acted the role of free speech defender and labeled the 'flock of birds' as a crazy Christian group. In the end, it turns out to be a bunch of high school kids whose chaperones were offended by his vulgarity. To be honest, I'd love to be in a theatre when a massive group stands up and walks out. There are certainly a number of Broadway musicals I wish I could have led the rebellion on. There are things much more vulgar than words. I mean, has anyone seen The Pirate Queen?

3. The Slash. I was at a post-show reception last night and the inevitable question arose: "So what do you do?" The friend I was with easily said, "I'm a director." My stock answer to this question is, "Whatever pays the bills." I guess it's because I don't know how to appropriately label myself without slashes. I'm a director/actor/writer/producer. Later on, I was chatting it up with a Brit and he asked, "So are you a theatre practitioner?" I was proudly and boldly able to answer, "Yes!". I wonder if it's easier just being one thing or if wearing multiple hats helps in this ever evolving business we call 'entertainment'?

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike Daisey said...

Just so we're clear, my issue has always been that my work was defaced and destroyed by one of the group's members. If it was simply a matter of them being offended and leaving i wouldn't have an issue with that. You left out that important part, and i wanted to clarify.

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home