Thursday, May 24, 2007

Ode to Michael Emerson

I'm already experiencing withdrawal. I don't know if I can wait until February of 2008 until my next fix, but there is little I can do. I just have to accept the fact that last night was the season finale of Lost and I'll have to find something else to do on Wednesday nights for the summer... and fall... and holiday season. (When do 'Celebrate Brooklyn' bandshell shows start?)

Of the many aspects of Lost that I'm addicted to, one performance stood out this season. For any drama to succeed, it needs a good villain, and thanks to brilliant writing, Michael Emerson outshines them all. Emerson's portrayal of Benjamin Linus is pitch perfect, which I think is a credit to his theatre background and training. Even though he was born in Cedar Rapids, his traits match all of the classic British villain qualities (because we all know no one plays a villain like a Brit.).

Most New York theatre goers first saw him as Oscar Wilde in Moises Kaufman's production of Gross Indecency, and later as George Tesman, opposite Kate Burton's Hedda Gabler. Others may remember him from a production of The Misanthrope* opposite Uma Thurman or as Willy Oban in The Iceman Cometh with Kevin Spacey. To horror movie fans, he's best known for playing Zep Hindle in Saw. In 2001, he won an Emmy for "Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series", playing the confessed serial killer William Hinks on The Practice.

Who better to play the main baddie on the most creative program since Twin Peaks? If there is any justice in television, he'll get nominated for best supporting actor. Since I don't watch much else on television (I'm currently a Netflix junkie), I can't say what his competition would be, but he's certainly worthy of the recognition. And if none of this means anything to you, then you've got eight months to catch up on the first three seasons.

*Is Elizabeth Marvel confirmed for Ivo van Hove's production of The Misanthrope at NYTW next season? Either way, I'm psyched.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home