Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The Pick Three

So for a random glance into my personal taste, here's a list of my current favorites.

1. Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - For anyone who misses Friends or The West Wing, you're in luck. This new Aaron Sorkin show is fantastic. Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford are a match made in TV heaven. And who knew Amanda Peet could be so alluring? I've only caught two of the three episodes so far, but it is by far my favorite new show of the season. If any theatre folks saw Monday's show, you would have thoroughly enjoyed the inside joke about 'commedia del arte'. Check it out on Monday nights at 10pm on NBS (I mean NBC).

2. The Decemberists' The Crane Wife - I had a chance to see Colin Meloy at Town Hall back in January where he previewed some of the songs that are on this album. I was impressed then, and am flabbergasted now. The instrumental additions of the rest of the band are great. It's hard to pick out one favorite track, but I have to say the duet with Laura Veirs (who opened for Colin at TH) called 'Yankee Bayonet' is beautiful. If you don't know Laura Veirs, you definitely need to buy 'Year of Meteors'. She rocks.

3. Alan Alda's Never Have Your Dog Stuffed - One of the most memorable TV moments I have as a child is sitting in my mom's bedroom (up way past my bedtime) watching the last episode of M*A*S*H. It was the first program I watched pretty much every episode of in reruns. I wanted to be Hawkeye Pierce when I grew up. I saw Alda interviewed by Tim Russert a few months back about his memoirs and was really intrigued. A few weeks ago, I was in 7th Ave. Books and saw that his book was in the bargain bin for $2 (and Lord knows what a sucker I am for a good deal). I just finished reading and it was really good. I thought it was going to be just another auto-bio covering all the funny stories from M*A*S*H, but I was way wrong. He barely even talks about the show. It's more about his growing up in burlesque houses with his actor father and schizophrenic mother. Really thoughtful and moving. It's not just a book for actors, though there are some gems that really made me think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home