Saturday, September 30, 2006

El Conquistador!

Just saw El Conquistador! at New York Theatre Workshop and had a great time. My friend Ari called me with a comp and I went in knowing absolutely nothing, which in my opinion is the best way. In contrast, I'm really excited to see Hell House, but it's only because I loved the documentary so much.

Since moving to New York, NYTW has been a place where I've seen some of my favorite pieces. And without them, I never would have discovered Ivo von Hove, or for that matter, Elizabeth Marvel, who is probably the best stage actress working. That production of Streetcar blew my mind. I'm still thinking about it. That bathtub scene will be etched in my subconscious until I die.

So lately NYTW has gotten a shit storm of bad press, but I don't honestly don't care about the whole Rachel Corrie incident (what remains to be seen is if the play is any good or not). So NYTW made a cowardly move and bowed to the pressure of their audience. I only wish I had a subscription audience to pander to.

That said, they have once again mounted an amazing show. The best use of video I've seen in a long time, and that's saying a lot for an Off Broadway house under a not for profit budget. I don't want to give anything away, but it's well worth paying for. Let's just say I'm as white as they come and know next to nada about telanovelas, but I had so much fun, I think I might start watching them. This won't be difficult, since I don't have cable and the Spanish channels are the only ones I get.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home